Nature versus Nurture…it’s always intrigued me.  I remember when I took a Psychology course in college.  This was a heavily covered topic.  (Did I mention I loved that class?)

Do we inherit or develop our traits and preferences? Well, the jury is still out on the “scientific answer” to that question.  Although I can say from what I’ve seen, a whole heck of a lot can be chalked up to genetics! 

I gave birth to 3 children.  Boy after Boy after Boy… 3 of ‘em right in a row!  I watched it happen with each one.  From the time they could walk and talk, the TV remote turns into a gun. Bang-bang-bang! (This is especially alarming when we don’t condone playing with toy guns and didn’t even have any in the house!) Anything poop related, including farting noises is hilarious.  They search high and low for spiders, ants, and other creepy crawly things.  Dirt is their middle name…

Then, about 3 years ago when we started doing Foster Care, we were blessed with little girls.  Nearly every single child that we cared for was a girl.  (And we hadn’t requested girls, it just happened that way.)  Boys and Girls are as different as night and day.  It’s amazing!!  From a very early age you can see it.

The Princess got 2 new shirts for her birthday.  She was so excited, and immediately forgot all about the toys.  (The TOYS!)  She was only interested in her new shirts.  She’s constantly walking around with a purse over her shoulder and a baby in one arm.  I’ve never once seen her pretend play with a gun.  She hates being dirty and sometimes insists that I clean her off mid-meal.

Boy #3 just had a birthday and when he tossed his new clothes aside and reached for the next package in hopes of finding a TOY, who do you think ran over and checked out his new clothes?  ….Yep, the Princess did!  (and she was M-A-D when she found out they weren’t hers!)

Realizing these things, I can’t help but wonder what the Princess has inherited from her birthparents.  The good and the bad.  I think she’s going have her birthmoms beautiful hair.  Her eyes come from her birthdad -or so I’m told.  Whose personality does she have?  Etc. etc. etc.   Obviously we’ll do anything and everything we can as her parents to ensure that she has the best life possible.  But will it be enough?

Sometimes I wish I were a scientist so I could focus my research on Nature versus Nurture.  I want to know more, I want to know the “Scientific Answer”.

2 messages:

  1. Elle said...

    I did the whole psych/soc degree in university. Here is my take on the nature vs. nurture. There is no clear division of which one is more correct. I think they are equal parts that make up a whole.

    I think that there are some things in life that are inherent. Some things that are part of our biology. I think it's our surrondings that shape this and make our life more positive or negative. Like our personalities are partially our DNA, but also how we learn and interact with others. I don't think that biological love is any more important than non-biological love.

    But then again, that's just my take on it. ;)  

  2. Jennifer said...

    I used to believe it was basically nuture. Boys were raised differently than girls from the start.
    Now I realize nature does have a lot to do with. My husband and I have a daughter. We know we can't have any more children. He is happy with her but hopes she plays sports and isn't too girlie.
    She is 2, yes she loves to play ball and any kind of sports. But she also loves her purses, clothes, jewelry and all that girly stuff. No matter what he wants, she is choosing to be a girl. :) Good for her.  

PhotobucketPage copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

 

Blogger Templates by Adam Every

ss_blog_claim=08e94abe01f5978d35560257534505f3