...a thing of the past?

It's about time for an update on the thumb sucking issue.

For a little while, the Thumb*Guard worked like magic. Princess let it be and as long as the guard was on, she wouldn't suck on her thumb.

After about 2 weeks she decided she didn't care about the Guard and we'd catch her holding onto her blanket tag with her thumb placed loosely in her mouth. The guard prevents the child from forming a suction around the thumb, but that didn't keep her from mouthing the sucking motion. We decided at that time the beloved blanket was standing in the way of breaking this habit and it was time to:

A. Get rid of the blankies!

~or~

B. Cut the tags off!

It wasn't a hard decision because I was traumatized as a child when my mom got rid of my blanket before I was ready. So.... off to the kitchen I went one morning and snipped the tags off when she wasn't looking. Of course, she was horrified when she discovered the tags on her blankies were gone!! I played dumb and she quickly recovered (within minutes) and I haven't heard a peep since.

It's been about 2 weeks since I cut off the tags and I'm almost ready to declare the thumb sucking habit a thing of the past!!

I'm sure you're wondering... ALMOST? So I'll explain, every once and awhile we'll go in the middle of the night and find that she has her thumb in her mouth (again, there's no suction, it's just kind of sitting in there and her tongue will be moving as if she were sucking on it) which tells us subconsciously she still has a bit of the habit left. We will press on and continue to use the Guard at night, if we need to. As far as daytime is concerned, she's been without the Thumb*Guard for 4 days now and hasn't even tried to suck on her thumb. Not even once.

Whooohoo! I highly recommend the little plastic apparatus for thumb and finger suckers (did I mention they have a Finger*Guard too didn't I?) everywhere!

I give it 4 Stars (...and NO I'm not being paid to say that. This is an independent product review and I am in no way being compensated. Just sayin'. )

The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because the clear plastic has stained from regular everyday use over the last 5 weeks. I haven't found anything to get it to clear again. It's kind of a turn off because it appears dirty no matter how clean it actually is. I guess that may be kind of a silly reason to take away a star, but I'm kind of snob like that though. ;-)

1 messages:

  1. Shelia said...

    I have to say "congrats" for sticking with it! You don't know how many times I come across parents at work who have no will power and strength to stick with it like you all have.

    WAY TO GO! {Insert "pat yourself on the back" here:)}  

PhotobucketPage copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

 

Blogger Templates by Adam Every

ss_blog_claim=08e94abe01f5978d35560257534505f3