Did you know that's really a word? A Gossipmonger is a person habitually engaged in idle talk about others. Which brings me to my thoughts for the day: Why do woman gossip?

HEY NOW, don't go hiding from me. You know you're just as guilty as the next. To some, gossiping is like second nature!

According to Wikipedia:

Gossip is idle talk or rumor, especially about the personal or private affairs of others.

You know what I am talking about right? We all have friends who nitpick, sensationalize, over-think and scrutinize others.

An ancient African proverb says,

"If a woman speaks two words, take one and leave the other".

I was recently in a position where I found myself analyzing a particular part of my life. (Okay, okay, I was sitting in a car for over 12 hrs with nothing better to do with my time) I understand, it's easy to sit and judge others from afar. To point, snicker and comment on their situation.

...But when the table turns on you what are you left with? You're left with a feeling of mistrust and uncertainty. Where does that get you? How does one think gossip will improve or change the situation? It doesn't, it just puts up walls and pops the bubble called trust between friends.

I stumbled upon a blog recently. I won't share the link. It's an Adoption blog, only their Adoption has no happy ending like ours. They speak of wanting to disrupt. They have not attached to the children and the entire situation sounds like pure hell. For awhile now, I've judged this person. I've wanted to share the link with others and talk about how awful this family must be. I've come to realize, when it all comes down to it... I have no right! I am not in their shoes therefore I don't know how bad it truly must be for them.

I've met many families along the way that are taking a similar Journey as we are with Chiari Malformation and Pseudotumor Cerebri. (The conditions my son NJ suffers from) While I like to think we're all on the same journey, our stories are just as alike as they are different! It's hard sometimes for some of us to remember that and I think we can get carried away in our comparisons. It's hard for me to sit and listen to family after family talking about and comparing their children to one another.

I want to be a better person. I'm going to better myself and quit judging the Adoptive parents who want to disrupt and the parents that we've questioned just how sick their child really was. I'm going to try my hardest to keep the behaviors of other people and my opinions of them to myself.

Just saying.

Hey- maybe that will be my New Year resolution? GAH, sorry for the deep post. No more 12 hr road trips for me! *wink*

3 messages:

  1. Dorsey said...

    I engage in this WAY too often....much more so than I should. But I can say since ditching the Moms' Groups a few years ago I gossip MUCH less than when I was in them. Just not interested in the drama-mamas anymore.  

  2. Kristina P. said...

    I definitely do my fair share of gossiping as well. But, I actually ended up cutting a friend out of my life, and I find I don't gossip as much now.

    I read many adoption blogs, and one in particular is quite popular. She has posted about several adoptive children, recently, who are in need of new homes and whose placements disrupted.

    It breaks my heart. I was a caseworker for DCFS for several years, and did several adoptions, and I still work with at-risk youth in a different capacity. Some of these kids will never have a stable home.  

  3. Nicole Feliciano said...

    Like our moms said, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything. Still holds true as adults and I wish I could say I live by this motto 24/7. But sigh, I don't. It's a good resolution.

    And moms, don't forget to check out Momtrends my blog. I've got six contests running. Here is a link to one for free Robeez shoes:

    http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2008/12/best-kids-holiday-shoes.html  

PhotobucketPage copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

 

Blogger Templates by Adam Every

ss_blog_claim=08e94abe01f5978d35560257534505f3