History was made yesterday.

"Tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America"

I'm not going to sit and write about who I voted for or why. The fact of the matter is Obama, son of a black father from Kenya and white mother from Kansas, marked a milestone in U.S. history. 45 long years after the height of the civil rights movement led by Martin Luther King. (If only Martin Luther King could be here today!!!!)

This is a day of History for our children. A day none of them (or us) will ever forget.

I remember 1986, sitting on the floor in the hallway at school with dozens of other children. We were gathered and placed in front of a big tv on a cart to watch the live coverage of the Space Shuttle Challenger. The room was abuzz with excitement. This was a unique mission into space. It was scheduled to be the first flight of a new program called TISP, the Teacher In Space Program. One of our very own Teachers was a finalist in the program. While she didn't make it on the Shuttle, we all somehow felt a connection to this particular flight because of it. Everyone sat and watched the shuttle take off into the air. It was something most of us had never seen before. Seventy three seconds into the mission, the Challenger exploded, killing the entire crew. Being a child, I guess I didn't really know what we were watching. I didn't understand why all of the Teachers suddenly grew quiet, turned off the TV and took us back to our classrooms. The rest of the day was somber and I didn't understand the impact that crash would have on the entire Country.



I remember on Sept. 11, 2001...
I was driving my oldest child to Kindergarten, listening on the radio as they spoke of a possible terrorist attack, a bomb or something at the World Trade Center in New York City. I honestly thought it was one of the Morning DJ's frequent jokes and didn't pay much attention to it. Imagine my surprise to arrive home, flip on the TV and within minutes watch LIVE as the 2nd airplane flew into the Twin Towers.



Do you remember?
When the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City was bombed?
When Princess Diana was killed?
The day MLK was killed?
President Kennedy was shot?

While most of these were tragedy's, I hope and pray this election will be remembered in celebration. I watched on TV last night the speeches by McCain and finally Obama. I'll admit that part of me wanted to run and wake my older children from their slumber to come and watch along with me as history was made. Unfortunately, I couldn't bring myself to do it. This may sound crazy to you, but the entire time Obama spoke, I was cringing. Not because of Obama, but because I was so afraid someone was going to assassinate him right then and there.

I wish it wasn't so, but President Elect Obama will need all the support and protection he can get. There are already threats upon his life. In fact two white supremacists have allegedly plotted to go on a national killing spree, shooting and decapitating black people and ultimately targeting Barack Obama. Racism is still alive and well here in America, despite how far the times have come. I cringe when I hear the harsh comments being made by passerby's and neighbors now that Obama has been elected the next President of the United States of America. It's like all their "Christian" morals that they were so likely to boast theses last few months were completely thrown out the window.

Come on people. Let the color of his skin go. Let's work together in this new day, to make for a better America!! "YES WE CAN"


I don't want another tragic memory, and I don't want that for my Children.

2 messages:

  1. Unknown said...

    I will remember... I WILL remember! I remember many of the events you wrote about...down to MLK ... Great Post!  

  2. Steph said...

    That's odd you put the Challenger on there, I was thinking that was my "I remember" to your post on the board. Your memory is close to mine. I was a senior in high school.  

PhotobucketPage copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

 

Blogger Templates by Adam Every

ss_blog_claim=08e94abe01f5978d35560257534505f3