‘Boy #2’ had a birthday in early June. His present… a Nintendo Wii. Well, that’s what we had planned to get him anyway. Actually getting our hands on a unit is another story altogether.


I literally called every single Target in the State of Oklahoma. Yep! Every. Single. One. I called every Game Stop, EB Games and most Walmarts. NO ONE had them. There were a handful of stores that had gotten some in their overnight shipment, but the units flew off the shelves almost immediately and had been gone for hours. I was laughed at, loathed and disconnected. It was apparent to me that I was not the only mother calling, trying to get my hands on the prized machine. I seriously phoned probably 100 different places. As time passed, I began to get more and more discouraged. How do you explain to a 9 year old that he won’t be receiving the gift previously promised to him??

I was tired and disappointed. When ‘The Hubby’ arrived home from work I told him of my efforts, exclaiming that ‘The Boy’ just wasn’t going to be getting a Wii anytime soon. Of course, being a stubborn man, he insisted that we would find one. Frustrated, I thew the phone at him and told him the only places left to call were 2 Toys R Us stores, South of Oklahoma City. They were the last on my list because I figured of all places, Toys R Us would be sold out.

Well, I was wrong. The Hubby spent all of 2 minutes on the phone. He found a TRU store that had just put 4 Nintendo Wii’s on the shelves.
They would not hold one and they would not allow us to purchase one over the phone. (Yes, we asked!) Within seconds we were running around the house in a panic. Yelling and hollering “Get your shoes on, get in the car!” The boys were confused to say the least. The looks on their faces to see their parents running around acting all crazy was priceless. Imagine 6 people running in every direction at one time. Oh, to be a fly in the wall! We had a 45 minute drive ahead of us… and I knew we weren’t the only ones to discover the store had them.

'The Hubby' called the store when we were about half way there… down to 3 Wii’s. Talk about stress!! I had no idea what was about to come…

Several minutes later I happen to look down at the gas gauge. We were nearly out of gas. Yes, you heard me right, OUT OF GAS. Here we are, speeding down the highway in unknown territory and the gas guage reads 0, as in Z-E-R-O.

Of all the times to run out of gas. I immediately took the next exit. Of course, it’s residential and there is absolutely no sign of a gas station. By this point I was a raging monster. Screaming and yelling to get outta my way to every car that came near me. Don’t ask me how we managed to find a gas station on fumes, it truly is a miracle. We put just enough gas in the car to get us there and got back on the road.

I am a natural pessimistic. You see, no matter what the circumstances, I always seem to dwell on the worst case scenario. “Of course by the time we get there they will have sold out.”…. “Why do we even bother going the rest of the way?”…. “This was a complete waste of time”…

Yet we pressed on.

Pressed on through the traffic jam, the car accident and getting completely lost. Mmmmhhmmm. We did eventually get there. Phewh, AND by the grace of God our son got his Nintento Wii.. Just seconds after we paid, another family walked in and snatched away the very last one

As soon as we got back into the car, 'The Hubby' declared… “I need a drink!” and I couldn't agree with him more.

SIGH, oh the things a parent will do for their child.

3 messages:

  1. happyadoptingmom said...

    Congratulations on getting a Wii. It is a great gift. I waited in line for 7 hours with a 11 month old in October to get one for my kids for Christmas. It is still played with daily and the envy of the neighborhood. I hope you were able to get some extra controllers. I stalked for those on the internet. I think it is great you all piled in and took off to get it instead of just sending your hubby to get it.  

  2. Angel The Alien said...

    Well, obviously, that Nintendo was MEANT to be for your son! :)

    - Angel  

  3. brcns265 said...

    That's great that you were able to find one! My hubby is an xbox 360 addict, and he had to wait a year after they came out to get one because we couldn't find one anywhere around here until then! I hope he's enjoying his birthday present! (Oh and I feel your pain...I did the same thing for a tickle me elmo TMX last Christmas!)  

PhotobucketPage copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

 

Blogger Templates by Adam Every

ss_blog_claim=08e94abe01f5978d35560257534505f3